A US Navy nuclear submarine collided with an unknown object in the Indo-Pacific. The nuclear drive was not damaged, according to the Navy. Nobody on board the “USS Connecticut” was critically injured.
A nuclear submarine of the US armed forces was damaged in the collision with an unknown object in the Indo-Pacific. The US Navy announced that the accident on the “USS Connecticut” had already occurred on Saturday “in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region”. According to media reports, the submarine was said to have been underway in the South China Sea.
According to the Navy, no one was life-threateningly injured on board. From US circles it was said that fewer than 15 people had suffered minor injuries. The Navy news website Usni News reported that around a dozen crew members had suffered “moderate to minor injuries.”
Sunken ship or container?
The incident and the exact extent of the damage are now being investigated, the military said in a statement. The “USS Connecticut” is in a “safe and stable state”. According to the Navy, the submarine’s nuclear drive was not damaged. It is still “fully operational”.
The US Navy admitted that it had withheld reports on the incident until Thursday so as not to jeopardize the mission. It is still unclear which object the submarine collided with. It could have been a sunken ship or a container.
According to Usni News, the “USS Connecticut” set the course for the US base on the island of Guam in the western Pacific. China wants to expand its supremacy in the South China Sea. The USA is therefore increasingly showing its presence there.